Saturday, December 31, 2016

on the eve of a new year


Here we are.  You and I.  Computer screen + me.  I didn't think we would do this again, make a blog together.  Honestly, I have missed you . . . I have missed us.  It's New Year's Eve and I have been thinking a lot about what has happened in my life this year, but I don't want to really go into any of that.  Not right now.  Maybe not ever.  What I really want to do this very moment is add fuel to the tiny little embers that are delicately burning in my being.  I long to create . . . to share . . . to connect . . . We can do this again.  The fact that I am sitting here with you typing words across your face is testament that I will move into the year 2017 running.  I have to.  I need to.  No more excuses.  No more wishing.  I keep hearing these words repeat themselves over and over in my mind . . . 


. . . be the change . . . 


And of course, a great drama would not be the same without a line from Shakespeare.


This above all: to thine own self be true . . .


I do not want to become a cliché, despite the fact that I do have a soft spot for overused quotes.  I want to be an example.  My daughter is my greatest audience.  What lessons can I teach her just by speaking?  Perhaps some words will stick, but it's what I do that will have a lasting impression on her young mind.  Live authentically.  Love unconditionally.  These are the lessons I want her to learn.  These are lessons to which I am still a student of.  But we will learn them together, she and I.  And perhaps by doing so, we will add a bit of whimsy and beauty back into the world.  That is my hope and my prayer.    


My booklist going into 2017:

- Love Does, by Bob Goff
- Drawn:  The Art of Ascent, by Jeremy Collins
- a leather bound journal for poems I wish to write



I may not know exactly where I'm headed, 

but I can tell you that as long as I keep moving

 one foot forward in front of the other, 

I'm going somewhere. 

I know the journey will see me through some rough roads, 

but I'm not afraid because I am always rewarded 

with scenery that will take my breath away. 

I will forge friendships with amazing characters 

because we were never meant to walk alone. 

This is the story I choose to live . . . 

the one where the girl followed her heart 

and in doing so wrote one amazing tale!


-k.


3 comments:

  1. Great to see you are back! You write so very well! I can't wait to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zee! Yes, I'm glad to be back! This time I'm blogging for myself, and any of you who want to read my nonsense. Happy to be doing this again! Yay!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Typing across your face - hah! And I'll second your mission to live authentically and love unconditionally. Thank you for letting the writer back out into the world. xo

    ReplyDelete